Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineOctober 15, 2019
- Application Type
The Project Assistance for Book Publishers program supports BC-based, Canadian-owned book publishers committed to developing and promoting Canadian writers through publishing works of literary, artistic or cultural importance for the general public.
Grants are intended to support the publication of up to three eligible titles in the proposed year.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Have been a legally registered company or society in B.C. for at least one year.
- Have operated for at least one year with book publishing as its primary (rather than peripheral or occasional) business, with the publication of original titles as the focus of that business.
- Have its head office, general office, editorial office, general operations, and management based in B.C. and have done so for at least one year.
- Be managed and financially controlled by B.C. residents (who own at least 75% of the company).
- Have produced financial statements for the most recently completed fiscal year.
- Compensate artists by paying fees at industry standards, and adhere to the international intellectual property rights standards.
- Maintain full control of the editorial process and have editorial independence from any other company. Where affiliations with other companies or agencies exist, publishers must be able to demonstrate separate editorial departments, budgets, and financial statements for each book publishing operation.
- Have at least four eligible titles in print, have published at least two eligible titles in the previous 12 months, and be committed to an ongoing program of publishing original titles.
- Issue clear royalty statements on a regular basis and fulfill all contractual obligations to writers, illustrators, translators and other copyright licensors. Publishers owing payments to writers, illustrators, translators and (or) other copyright licensors as of the application deadline may not be eligible for funding.
- Have demonstrated the ability to maintain professional standards in editing, designing, printing, marketing and distributing their books.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.