Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2019
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance for Media Arts Organizations program contributes to the support of professional, not-for-profit media arts organizations that sustain an annual artistic program encompassing production, distribution, collections and dissemination activities. Media arts are defined as works in film, video, audio/sound art and new media. New media includes new information and communications technologies used for artistic expression.
Extended Cycle: provides established, stable organizations with a fixed funding level over an extended funding cycle. Eligible, approved organizations will receive an operating grant amount over a period of two years based on an initial request amount and subject to annual reporting and budgetary approvals.
Annual Status: provides funding for annual operations to organizations that are newly entering the operating program; experiencing significant transition; or requiring closer monitoring as identified by the Advisory Committee, Council or staff in consideration of Program Guidelines and Council policy. Organizations on Annual Status must submit a full application by the program deadline each year.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a professional arts organization registered as a non-profit society in good standing in the Province of British Columbia.
- Have operated as a media arts organization for two fiscal years prior to application.
- Provide year-round public programming and have done so in the immediately preceding two years.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals by paying fees at industry standards and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards.
- Have professional artistic/curatorial and administrative leadership.
- For organizations that are not currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- Applicants must have received at least two Professional Project Assistance awards from the British Columbia Arts Council within the past five years and within the same program discipline.
- Applicants must establish eligibility with Council staff before making an application and are encouraged to do so at least four weeks before the application deadline.
- For organizations that have previously received Operating Assistance, eligibility is reviewed annually.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.