Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineMay 30, 2020
- Application Type
The Professional Projects Assistance program for Arts Periodicals supports the development, enrichment and creation of new or unique projects by BC-based arts periodicals and associated public programming.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring intake for this program has been delayed and will launch in early April, with an extended deadline of May 30.
Please note: We are placing a temporary blackout period on new applications for activities that involve travel and/or in-person gatherings taking place between March 26 and June 30. This date could be adjusted if the current provincial and federal orders and directives in place are extended.
This is one of a series of program changes that the BC Arts Council has made in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The BC Arts Council remains committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
General Eligibility Criteria
Assistance through this program is available to readily identified professional B.C. collectives or groups and professional arts organizations.
An eligible applicant must:
- Be based in British Columbia and publish arts periodicals in B.C.
- Engage competent artistic/editorial and management leadership as demonstrated in previous achievements, collaborations, partnerships, relationships, etc.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals by compensating arts and culture workers at industry standards and adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
- Have submitted all required final reports on previous BC Arts Council grants as of the deadline date
for this program.
Priority will be given to periodicals that emphasize the work of British Columbia writers and artists and previously unpublished materials.
Under normal circumstances, applicants for Professional Project Assistance – Arts Periodicals must, in addition to meeting the eligibility criteria, demonstrate a record of realizing comparable projects at a professional standard.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
Both print and electronic periodicals are eligible to apply. Arts periodicals that meet the eligibility for both the print component and the electronic component must choose one of the two components when applying and must meet the eligibility criteria of the component to which they are applying.
Periodicals published in any written language, or combination of written languages, are eligible for assistance, as long as all other eligibility criteria are met.
Awards can be made for either a specific project or to assist production activities of an organization.
All eligible arts periodicals must:
- Include editorial content written or created by British Columbia or Canadian writers and artists.
- Devote a majority of publishing activity to the first publication of any form of artistic expression or social, cultural, or intellectual commentary or inquiry.
- Have published the periodical during the immediately preceding year and be committed to continued periodical publishing.
- Operate year-round.
- Have clear submission guidelines and an editorial selection process.
- Have and honour a clear policy with respect to the use of contributors’ writing and intellectual property.
- Have identified the target audience for the periodical and developed an appropriate distribution method to reach it.
Incorporated Professional Arts Organizations
In addition to the General Eligibility Criteria, a periodical publishing organization must:
- Be a professional arts organization registered and in good standing as a non-profit society in the Province of British Columbia for at least one year.
- Be a professional arts periodical operated by an accredited B.C. post-secondary institution with an advisory editorial board that sets policy for programs and services undertaken.
- Provide financial statements for the most recently completed fiscal year.
- Not currently receive operating assistance from the BC Arts Council.
- Have operated and engaged in arts periodical publishing activity for a minimum of one year
Professional Collectives and Groups
In addition to the General Eligibility Criteria, under normal circumstances, a professional collective or group must:
- Consist of a group of three or more writers, editors or other literary arts professionals who are professionally active in periodical publishing and/or relevant artistic practice.
- Each member of a collective must have a minimum of two years of professional practice in their field, following basic training, and must have a demonstrated body of previous work as an individual practitioner.
- Apply under the name of an individual member of the collective, acting as a key contact person and listed as the submitting officer. The key contact person will be held responsible for the application and subsequent report. If the application is successful, this person will receive payment of the award on behalf of the collective.
- Each member of the professional independent collective must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, readily identified as a professional British Columbia artist, and have lived in British Columbia for at least twelve months immediately prior to application.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer that corresponds to their area of practice prior to submission.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.