Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineOctober 22, 2020
- Application Type
Project Assistance: Book Publishers assists book publishers in British Columbia to develop and promote Canadian literature and Canadian writers through publishing works of literary, artistic, and/or cultural importance for the general public.
Grants are intended to support the publication of up to three eligible titles in the proposed year.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have placed a temporary blackout period for activities that involve travel and/or in-person gatherings of over 50. The blackout dates could be adjusted depending on current provincial and federal orders and directives. Please refer to the appropriate section of our dedicated COVID 19 Update page before completing your application.
The BC Arts Council is committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 Update page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
Assistance through this program is available to B.C.-based, Canadian-owned book publishers, who meet the following criteria:
- Have been a legally registered company or a non-profit society in good standing in the Province of British Columbia for at least one year.
- Be based in British Columbia including:
- Have its general office, editorial office, general operations, and management based in B.C.
- Be managed and financially controlled by B.C. residents who own at least 75% of the company.
- Have the publishing of original book titles as its primary (and not peripheral or occasional) business.
- Maintain full control of the editorial process and have editorial independence from any other company. Where affiliations exist, publishers must be able to demonstrate separate editorial departments, budgets, and financial statements for each book publishing operation.
- Have at least four eligible titles in print, have published at least two eligible titles in the previous 12 months, and be committed to an ongoing program of publishing eligible original titles.
- Issue clear royalty statements on a regular basis and fulfill all contractual obligations to writers, illustrators, translators, and other copyright licensors.
- Compensate artists and cultural practitioners fairly in keeping with community contexts and industry standards within the field of practice, including adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
- Not currently receive Operating Assistance from the BC Arts Council.
- Have submitted all required final reports on previous BC Arts Council grants as of the deadline date for this program.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has an organization profile in the system, then an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
Program guidelines are revised annually.