Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2019
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance for Media Arts Organizations program contributes to the support of professional, not-for-profit media arts organizations that sustain an annual artistic program encompassing production, distribution, collections and dissemination activities. Media arts are defined as works in film, video, audio/sound art and new media. New media includes new information and communications technologies used for artistic expression.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a professional arts organization registered as a non-profit society in good standing in the Province of British Columbia.
- Have operated as a media arts organization for two fiscal years prior to application.
- Provide year-round public programming and have done so in the immediately preceding two years.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals by paying fees at industry standards and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards.
- Have professional artistic/curatorial and administrative leadership.
- For organizations that are not currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- Applicants must have received at least two Professional Project Assistance awards from the British Columbia Arts Council within the past five years.
- Applicants must establish eligibility with Council staff before making an application and are encouraged to do so at least four weeks before the application deadline.
- For organizations that have previously received Operating Assistance, eligibility is reviewed annually.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has an organization profile in the system, then an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
If you are applying for Enhanced Capacity, you will need to submit a separate Enhanced Capacity application.
Program guidelines 2019/20 - PDF version
Preview of the online application form 2019/20 - PDF version
Program guidelines are revised annually.