Program TypeProject Assistance
- Application Type
The Professional Development Project Assistance program assists professional artists and arts & culture professionals:
- to take advantage of opportunities which require travel; or,
- to undertake specific learning activities to advance their practice or career.
The program assists those who demonstrate a high degree of critical self-reflection and link activities to the next stage of their professional development.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the timing of individual grant programs could be affected, and in certain cases, programs may be suspended or deferred. Changes could also be made to the eligibility of activities within programs and successfully funded projects may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
Under normal circumstances, to be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have lived in British Columbia for at least twelve months immediately prior to application.
- Be an artist or arts administrator in the disciplines of creative writing, dance (performance, choreography), media arts (film, video, audio/sound art and new media), multi-disciplinary practice, museology and conservation, music (performance, composition), publishing, theatre (performance, design, directing, technical), or visual arts (creation, curation).
- Have completed basic training in their discipline (not necessarily in academic institutions) and is not enrolled in full-time studies.
- Be a professional artist or arts administrator.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about eligibility.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted throughout the year. There are three intake deadlines: April 1, August 1 and December 1. Applications received in the period leading up to each deadline will be adjudicated together.
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Management System (GMS). It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has a profile in the system, an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Management System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the appropriate program officer prior to submission - their contact information can be found on the top right of this page.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually.