Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineApril 30, 2021
- Application Type
Project Assistance: Professional Dance supports initiatives in the development, creation, production, realization and/or live performance of classical, experimental, original, traditional and contemporary dance forms from all world cultures.
The program supports both organizations and professional independent artists and has two categories:
Development and Creation supports the initial stages of the creative process including research, creation and project development.
Production and Realization supports latter stages of project development, production, remounts, post-production and presentation and those projects intended for presentation.
For projects with a full range of activity may apply for both categories in the same application.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the timing of individual grant programs could be affected, and in certain cases, programs may be suspended or deferred. Changes could also be made to the eligibility of activities within programs and successfully funded projects may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a professional independent artist and must:
- Have worked as a professional practitioner for at least two years following completion of basic studies and have a demonstrated body of previous work
- Not be a full-time student.
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident and have been a resident of British Columbia for at least 12 months immediately prior to the application deadline, and ordinarily reside in B.C. For more information, review our Determining B.C. Residency
- Be a professional arts and culture organization based in B.C. and registered and in good standing as a non-profit society or community service co-op in B.C. for at least one year.
- An established collective, which must:
- Be readily identified as an independent collective of B.C. artists and/or arts and culture practitioners.
- Have a demonstrated history of creating or presenting work and a clear commitment to current practice.
- Be able to demonstrate current fixed costs related to their practice and ongoing activities as a collective.
- Have a member of the collective act as a key contact person for the application. The key contact person will be held responsible for the application and, if it is successful, for receiving the award on behalf of the collective and submitting the final report.
- Have eligibility confirmed by a program officer prior to applying.
- Be based in British Columbia and conduct ongoing public programming activity in B.C.
- Compensate arts and cultural practitioners fairly in keeping with community contexts and industry standards within the field of practice, including adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
- Not currently receive Operating Assistance from the BC Arts Council.
- Have submitted all required final reports on previous BC Arts Council grants as of the deadline for this program.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System (GMS). It is highly recommended you read How to Apply Online before starting this process. Please note, registration requests can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has a profile in the system, then an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted during the intake period.
All applicants, especially those new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually.
A preview of the online application form will be available shortly.