Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineMay 30, 2020
- Application Type
Professional Project Assistance supports initiatives in the development, creation, production and/or live performance of classical, experimental, original, traditional and contemporary art forms from all world cultures.
Grants are intended to contribute to the successful realization of a single event or activity.
The maximum contribution to a project in this program is 50% of the total budget of the project. Receipt of funding does not guarantee assistance in subsequent years.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring intake for this program has been delayed and will launch in early April, with an extended deadline of May 30.
Please note: We are placing a temporary blackout period on new applications for activities that involve travel and/or in-person gatherings taking place between March 26 and June 30. This date could be adjusted if the current provincial and federal orders and directives in place are extended.
This is one of a series of program changes that the BC Arts Council has made in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The BC Arts Council remains committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
An eligible applicant must:
- Be based in British Columbia and conduct ongoing public programming activity in B.C.
- Engage competent and appropriate artistic/curatorial and management leadership as demonstrated by previous achievements, collaborations, partnerships, relationships, etc.
- Compensate artists and arts and cultural professionals at industry standards and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
Professional Performing Arts Organizations
In addition to the General Eligibility criteria, a professional performing arts organization must:
- Be a professional performing arts organization registered and in good standing as a non-profit society in the Province of British Columbia for at least one year.
- Provide financial statements for the most recently completed fiscal year.
- Not currently receive operating assistance from the BC Arts Council.
- Have operated and offered public programming for a minimum of one year as a non-profit society.
Professional Independent Artists
In addition to the General Eligibility criteria, a professional independent artist must:
- Have worked in their discipline as a professional practitioner for at least two years following completion of basic studies and have a demonstrated body of previous work.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, readily identified as a professional British Columbia artist, and have lived in British Columbia for at least twelve months immediately prior to application.
Professional Collectives, Groups and Ensembles
In addition to the General Eligibility criteria above, under normal circumstances, a collective, group or ensemble must apply under the name of an individual member of the collective, acting as a key contact person and listed as the submitting officer, who meets the eligibility criteria for Professional Independent Artists.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer that corresponds to their area of practice prior to submission.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.