Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineJuly 2, 2019
- Application Type
The Strategic Opportunities program assists B.C. arts and cultural organizations undertake significant strategic projects to address artistic and organizational opportunities and challenges, including:
- support for the creation of new work (including commissioning and collaboration);
- innovation in or enhancement of programming activity;
- capacity building;
- organizational transition; and/or
- investment in small capital projects (facilities or specialized equipment).
Proposals made to this program should be able to demonstrate a high level of organizational self-assessment and self-representation; clearly articulate the conceptual and strategic rigour, risk and innovation in the project; and define the relationship between the proposed project and the organization’s history, mandate, ongoing activity and strategic trajectory.
Successful applications will address challenges and opportunities in one or more of the various aspects of the organization. Projects should fall into one of three categories:
- Artistic Capacity
- Organizational Development and Transition
- Capital Projects
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Not currently receive Operating Assistance from the BC Arts Council (with the exception of Community Arts Organizations)
- Be an arts organization, museum, book publisher or Indigenous cultural centre that has received at least one grant from the BC Arts Council since April 1, 2014 through BC Arts Council discipline-specific program
- Be an incorporated non-profit arts and cultural organization that has received a grant through the BC Arts Council’s Shared Cost Arrangement programs at BC Touring Council or First Peoples’ Cultural Council (Aboriginal Arts Development Awards) since April 1, 2017.
Applicants may only apply once per deadline.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer that corresponds to their area of practice prior to submission.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.