Program TypeProject Assistance
- Application Type
The Strategic Opportunities program assists B.C. arts and cultural organizations undertake significant strategic projects to address artistic and organizational opportunities and challenges, including:
- support for the creation of new work (including commissioning and collaboration);
- innovation in or enhancement of programming activity;
- capacity building;
- organizational transition; and/or
- investment in small capital projects (facilities or specialized equipment).
Proposals made to this program should be able to demonstrate a high level of organizational self-assessment and self-representation; clearly articulate the conceptual and strategic rigour, risk and innovation in the project; and define the relationship between the proposed project and the organization’s history, mandate, ongoing activity and strategic trajectory.
Successful applications will address challenges and opportunities in one or more of the various aspects of the organization. Projects should fall into one of three categories:
- Artistic Capacity
- Organizational Development and Transition
- Capital Projects
June 2021 Update
Due to the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the intake for this program is currently suspended.
We will continue to monitor the situation and as soon as we have more information, we will update this page and make an announcement in our news section.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the timing of individual grant programs could be affected, and in certain cases, programs may be suspended or deferred. Changes could also be made to the eligibility of activities within programs and successfully funded projects may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Not currently receive Operating Assistance from the BC Arts Council (with the exception of Community Arts Organizations)
- Be an arts organization, museum, book publisher or Indigenous cultural centre that has received at least one grant from the BC Arts Council since April 1, 2014 through BC Arts Council discipline-specific program
- Be an incorporated non-profit arts and cultural organization that has received a grant through the BC Arts Council’s Shared Cost Arrangement programs at BC Touring Council or First Peoples’ Cultural Council (Aboriginal Arts Development Awards) since April 1, 2017.
Applicants may only apply once per deadline.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer that corresponds to their area of practice prior to submission.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. These guidelines are provided for reference only.