Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineJanuary 15, 2020
- Application Type
The Youth Engagement Program supports organizations taking innovative and inspiring approaches to actively engaging British Columbia’s young people with arts and culture programming as participants, makers, or audiences.
- New work – creation and commissioning: New artistic and curatorial projects for children and youth
- Participation in artistic creation: Projects that directly engage children and youth, working with professional artists, as creative participants in the creative process, through developing and/or producing new projects. The quality of the participants’ artistic experience is as important as the project’s artistic achievement.
- Outreach and engagement: Projects and partnerships that actively reach out to engage and integrate new youth communities and young audiences into organizations’ core activities and programs.
The Youth Engagement Program builds on existing expertise in the creative sector by supporting programs delivered by organizations that demonstrate success in artistic achievement, community engagement and organizational capacity.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the criteria of one of the following categories:
- Be an arts and cultural organization that has received at least one grant from the BC Arts Council since April 1, 2015 through BC Arts Council operating or discipline-specific project programs; or,
- Be an incorporated non-profit arts and cultural organization that has received a grant through the BC Arts Council’s Shared Cost Arrangement programs at BC Touring Council, First Peoples’ Cultural Council (Aboriginal Arts Development Awards) or Creative BC since April 1, 2018.
Note: 2019/20 successful applicants to BC Touring Council’s Aspiring and Emerging Artists Touring and Training programs or the First Peoples’ Cultural Council’s Aboriginal Youth Engaged in the Arts program are not eligible to apply to this program.
- Be an incorporated non-profit arts and cultural organization in B.C. that has not received support from
the BC Arts Council or its partners (above) in the designated years but:
- Has a mandate dedicated specifically to provide quality arts experiences for children and/or youth; and,
- Is otherwise eligible for support within a discipline-specific program at the BC Arts Council, OR
- Be a BC First Nations Government, or an Indigenous Friendship or Cultural Centre.
Applicants in Category II must confirm their eligibility by email with the appropriate YEP program officer before submitting an application and will be required to submit supplementary application materials.
Individuals, collectives and unincorporated groups are ineligible to apply to either category of this program.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline. Check back closer to this date for current guidelines and link to the application process.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the appropriate program officer prior to submission - their contact information can be found on the top right of this page.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.
Updated program guidelines will be available at least 6 weeks before the program deadline.