To receive BC Arts Council funding, you must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident who ordinarily resides in B.C., having lived in the province for at least the 12 continuous months prior to an application being submitted.

Applicants who within the last twelve months have resided outside the province must be able to demonstrate that their absence was temporary (for example, for educational opportunities).

Students and Residency

If you are a dependent of your parent(s), step-parent(s), sponsor, or legal guardian, then your parent(s), sponsor, or legal guardian must have lived in British Columbia for at least the 12 continuous months prior to your application being submitted.

If you are an independent student, then you will be considered a resident of British Columbia if:

  • you have lived in B.C. all your life; or
  • B.C. is the province where you have last lived for 12 continuous months, not including months of full-time post-secondary study.

Proof of Residency

If required, all applicants must be prepared to provide documentation to support their residency status. B.C. residents are expected to have:

  • a current B.C. Personal Health Number and a valid government-issued card such as a B.C. Services Card or B.C. driver’s licence; or
  • filed an income tax return for the most recent calendar year to Canada Revenue Agency as a resident of British Columbia.

For students, documentation of a student loan administered in British Columbia would support proof of residency status.

If you have any questions, please contact the program officer responsible for your discipline.