Program TypeOperating Assistance
- Application Type
The Arts Periodicals: Operating Assistance Program supports a sustained artistic and editorial program by organizations that includes any form of artistic expression or social, cultural or intellectual commentary or inquiry through regular publication in print or electronic form.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the timing of individual grant programs could be affected, and in certain cases, programs may be suspended or deferred. Changes could also be made to the eligibility of activities within programs and successfully funded projects may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a professional arts periodical registered and in good standing as a non-profit society in the Province of British Columbia for at least two fiscal years prior to application,
- Be a professional arts periodical operated by an accredited B.C. post-secondary institution for at least two fiscal years prior to application, with an advisory editorial board that sets policy for programs and services undertaken.
- Have operated as an arts periodical for at least two fiscal years prior to application.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals fairly, in keeping with community contexts and industry standards within the field of practice, including adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
For organizations currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- In order to continue receiving funding, you must continue to fulfill the above criteria and operate in good standing.
For organizations that are not currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- You must establish your eligibility and intention to apply for Operating Assistance with the Program Officer a minimum of four weeks before the deadline.
- You must have received at least two Project Assistance grants from eligible programs at the BC Arts Council within the past five years, including at least one creation or production grant from a discipline-specific program. Please confirm eligibility of past funding with the Program Officer.
Specific Eligibility Criteria – Arts Periodicals
Both print and electronic periodicals are eligible to apply. Arts periodicals that meet the eligibility for both the print component and the electronic component must make the choice between the two components when applying and must meet the eligibility criteria of the component to which they are applying.
Periodicals published in any written language, or combination of written languages, are eligible for assistance, as long as all other eligibility criteria are met. Priority will be given to periodicals that emphasize the work of British Columbian writers and artists and previously unpublished materials.
All eligible arts periodicals must:
- Include editorial content written or created by British Columbian or Canadian writers and artists;
- Devote a majority of publishing activity to the first publication of any form of artistic expression or social, cultural, or intellectual commentary or inquiry;
- Have published the periodical during the immediately preceding two years and be committed to continued periodical publishing;
- Operate year-round and publish on a regular basis;
- Have clear submission guidelines and an editorial selection process;
- Have and honour a clear policy with respect to the use of contributors’ writing and intellectual property;
- Have identified the target audience for the periodical and developed an appropriate distribution method to reach it;
- Have editorial content which is created by more than one person;
- Clearly identify by name the individuals responsible for the content (on the masthead or equivalent).
Print periodicals must:
- Be printed on paper;
- Average at least 24 pages per issue over a one-year period;
- Publish a minimum of two print issues per year;
- Have a minimum print run of 400 copies per hard copy issue;
- Have a paid circulation of at least 20% of the copies printed, per issue.
Electronic periodicals must:
- Have paid subscription access to content, maintaining an average of 100 subscribers over a period of six months;
- Have scheduled email delivery of content, maintaining a minimum average of 300 registered email recipients over a period of six months.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has an organization profile in the system, then an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
Program guidelines are revised annually.
The following guidelines are provided for reference only.