Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineApril 15, 2020
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance program for Arts Periodicals supports a sustained artistic and editorial program by organizations that includes any form of artistic expression or social, cultural or intellectual commentary or inquiry through regular publication in print or electronic form.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a professional arts periodical registered and in good standing as a non-profit society in the Province of British Columbia for at least two fiscal years prior to application, OR
- Be a professional arts periodical operated by a public B.C. post-secondary institution with an advisory editorial board that sets policy for programs and services undertaken
- Have operated as an arts periodical for at least two fiscal years prior to application.
- Compensate contributors by paying fees at industry standards, and adhere to the international intellectual property rights standards.
- Have professional artistic/editorial and administrative leadership
Specific Eligibility Criteria – Arts Periodicals
Both print and electronic periodicals are eligible to apply. Arts periodicals that meet the eligibility for both the print component and the electronic component must make the choice between the two components when applying and must meet the eligibility criteria of the component to which they are applying. Periodicals published in any written language, or combination of written languages, are eligible for assistance, as long as they meet all other eligibility criteria. Priority will be given to periodicals that emphasize the work of British Columbia writers and artists and previously unpublished materials.
All eligible arts periodicals must:
- Include editorial content written or created by British Columbia or Canadian writers and artists.
- Devote a majority of publishing activity to the first publication of any form of artistic expression or social, cultural, or intellectual commentary or inquiry.
- Have published the periodical during the immediately preceding two years and be committed to
continued periodical publishing.
- Operate year-round.
- Have clear submission guidelines and an editorial selection process.
- Have and honour a clear policy with respect to the use of contributors’ writing and intellectual property.
- Have identified the target audience for the periodical and developed an appropriate distribution method to reach it.
Hard Copy periodicals must:
- Be printed on paper.
- Average at least 24 pages per hard copy issue over a one-year period.
- Publish a minimum of two hard copy issues per year.
- Have a minimum print run of 500 copies per hard copy issue.
- Have a paid circulation of at least 50% of the copies printed, per issue.
Electronic periodicals must:
- Have paid subscription access to content, maintaining an average of 100 subscribers over a period of 6 months, OR;
- Have scheduled email delivery of content, maintaining a minimum average of 300 registered email recipients over a period of 6 months.
- Publish on a regular basis.
- Have an editorial content which is created by more than one person.
- Clearly identify by name the individuals responsible for the content (on the masthead or equivalent).
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about what is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
The application intake opens approximately six weeks before the program deadline.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer that corresponds to their area of practice prior to submission.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.