Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2021
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance for Book Publishers program supports BC-based, Canadian-owned book publishers committed to developing and promoting Canadian writers through publishing works of literary, artistic or cultural importance for the general public.
2021 Operating Assistance Intake
For 2021, all current recipients of Operating Assistance will submit a simplified application for staff to review. Please ensure you review the 2021 Operating Assistance Overview document for further information.
New applicants to Operating Assistance will not be accepted at this time. Any new information regarding new applicants will be updated on this program page and in our news section.
These decisions were made as part of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
Funded activities may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
For 2021, only current recipients of Operating Assistance are eligible. To continue to receive funding through the Book Publishers – Operating program your organization must be in good standing and continue to fulfill the following criteria:
- Have been a legally registered company or society in B.C. for at least the previous three years.
- Have operated for at least the previous three years with book publishing as its primary (rather than a peripheral or occasional) business, with the publication of original titles as the focus of that business.
- Have its head office, general office, editorial office, general operations, and management based in B.C. and have done so for at least the previous three years.
- Be managed and financially controlled by B.C. residents (who own at least 75% of the company).
- Compensate artists by paying fees at industry standards, and adhere to the international
intellectual property rights standards.
- Maintain full control over the editorial process, and have editorial independence from any other company. Where affiliations with other companies or agencies exist, publishers must be able to demonstrate separate editorial departments, budgets, and financial statements for the book publishing operation.
- Have at least eight eligible titles in print; have published a minimum of three eligible first edition titles per year for the past three years; and be committed to an ongoing program of publishing original titles.
- Have at least 75% of the titles produced by authors other than principals in the company or related companies.
- Issue clear royalty statements on a regular basis and fulfill all contractual obligations to writers, illustrators, translators and other copyright licensors. Publishers owing payments to writers, illustrators, translators and (or) other copyright licensors as of the application deadline may not be eligible for funding.
At present, we are not accepting new applicants to this program.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
For 2021, eligible applicants to Operating Assistance will be completing a shorter application than a typical full Operating application.
Please refer to the 2021 Operating Assistance Overview document for more information about this year’s intake.
The following guidelines are from the previous intake and provided for general information about the program. They are for reference only.