Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2020
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance for Book Publishers program supports BC-based, Canadian-owned book publishers committed to developing and promoting Canadian writers through publishing works of literary, artistic or cultural importance for the general public.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring (April) and fall (September) 2020 intakes for all Operating Assistance programs, including this one, have been suspended.
In its place, existing clients in all Operating Assistance programs will receive the equivalent of their previous operating assistance grant amount.
These payments will be made in two installments. The first was issued in April. The second will be available for organizations from July.
The BC Arts Council grant application system will be open June 25 for eligible organizations to apply and complete a minimal reporting process. To accommodate the different funding cycles that organizations operate on, the application process will continue to be available until September 30th.
These two payments represent the grant organizations would have applied for this year if the Operating Assistance programs had gone forward. It is not additional funding.
Applicants not currently on Operating Assistance will not be able to apply to the programs at this time.
Why we made this decision
We recognize that, at this time, organizations may have diminished capacity to prepare comprehensive two-year plans and projections to inform operating grant applications. We are also aware that organizations need certainty to work through the implications of COVID-19.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
These changes to Operating Assistance are among a series of program changes that the BC Arts Council has made in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The BC Arts Council remains committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Have been a legally registered company or society in BC for at least the previous three years.
- Have operated for at least the previous three years with book publishing as its primary (rather than a peripheral or occasional) business, with the publication of original titles as the focus of that business.
- Have its head office, general office, editorial office, general operations, and management based in BC and have done so for at least the previous three years.
- Be managed and financially controlled by BC residents (who own at least 75% of the company).
- Compensate artists by paying fees at industry standards, and adhere to the international
intellectual property rights standards.
- Maintain full control over editorial process, and have editorial independence from any other company. Where affiliations with other companies or agencies exist, publishers must be able to demonstrate separate editorial departments, budgets, and financial statements for the book publishing operation.
- Have at least eight eligible titles in print; have published a minimum of three eligible first edition titles per year for the past three years; and be committed to an ongoing program of publishing original titles.
- Have at least 75% of the titles produced by authors other than principals in the company or related companies.
- Issue clear royalty statements on a regular basis and fulfill all contractual obligations to writers, illustrators, translators and other copyright licensors. Publishers owing payments to writers, illustrators, translators and (or) other copyright licensors as of the application deadline may not be eligible for funding.
- For organizations that are not currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- Applicants must have received at least two Project Assistance for Book Publishers grants from the British Columbia Arts Council within the past five years.
- Applicants must establish eligibility with Council staff before making an application and are encouraged to do so at least four weeks before the application deadline.
How to Apply
The intake period is now open. The deadline for interim reports and annual status applications is September 30, 2019.
The program-specific documents are:
Appendix A - Title Information Summary
Appendix B - Financial and Statistical Data Summary
Program guidelines - PDF version
Applications are accepted by mail and must be postmarked by Canada Post or a courier company no later than August 15, 2019. Applications may be hand delivered or delivered by courier to 800 Johnson Street, Victoria, BC, up to 4:00 p.m. on the deadline day. Applications by email or fax will not be accepted. See application form for mailing information and submission instructions.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the appropriate program officer prior to submission - their contact information can be found on the top right of this page.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.
Program guidelines - PDF version
Updated program guidelines will be available at least 6 weeks before the program deadline.