As part of Extending Foundations: Action Plan 2022 -2024, we’re launching a revised Operating Assistance program for 2022/23, with changes including:
- One Operating Assistance program deadline for all applicants;
- Extending the application intake period from 6 to 13 weeks;
- Expanded eligibility based on funding and organizational history;
- Return to a two-year funding cycle for all applicants;
- Application Assistance funding available for organizations with a primary purpose to serve Deaf or disability arts practices;
- Streamlined program guidelines;
- Updated assessment criteria in alignment with Extending Foundations;
- Opportunities for oral and video submissions as part of the application process; and
- Implementation of Designated Priority Groups
“I am pleased to stand by the BC Arts Council as it continues to take decisive steps towards a more equitable, inclusive and accessible arts sector,” said Melanie Mark, Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport. “The launch of the intake period for these operating grants marks the first major grant program under the principles of the council’s current action plan. This work is vital to ensuring more voices and perspectives are heard and represented. I commend the council for responding to this call to action, committing to this work supporting and celebrating the diverse communities in B.C.”
Please review the full program guidelines and check out our FAQs for more information regarding changes to the Operating Assistance program.
“Extending Foundations: Action Plan 2022-2024 is the roadmap to guide the BC Arts Council over the next two years and a strong response to what we heard from people throughout the arts sector,” said Bob D’Eith, Parliamentary Secretary for Arts and Film. “The launching of the revised operating grants signals the kickoff of this important work, beginning with reducing barriers within policies and programs to increase access to funding and enhance opportunities for all British Columbians who are part of B.C.’s diverse arts and culture community.”
“With the announcement of the Extending Foundations: Action Plan 2022-2024 earlier this Spring, the BC Arts Council made clear its commitment to priorities of reconciliation, equity, diversity, inclusion and access,” said BC Arts Council Chair, Sae-Hoon Stan Chung. “The revisions within the Operating Assistance program highlight the BC Arts Council’s focus through to 2024 – rebalancing historic funding patterns while continuing to support stability and recovery across the sector.”
The Operating Assistance program is now accepting applications from:
- Arts & Cultural Service Organizations
- Literary Arts Organizations
- Book Publishers
- Performing Arts Organizations
- Professional Arts Festivals
- Professional Arts Training Organizations
- Public Museums and Indigenous Cultural Centres
- Visual Arts and Media Arts Organizations
The Operating Assistance intake for Community Arts Organizations will be announced later this summer.
The deadline for all Operating programs is September 15, 2022.
Updated guidelines and information for each program can be found on the Grant Programs page of our website. Applicants are encouraged to discuss eligibility and application requirements for Operating Assistance with one of our Program Advisors.
Information Sessions for the Operating Assistance program will be announced shortly. Check out our website and social media channels to hear about upcoming information sessions where you can learn more about the program and ask questions about the changes.