Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2019
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance program for Arts and Cultural Service Organizations supports BC organizations that show ongoing local, regional, provincial, and/or national activity that has provincial impact and that provide a range of services to an established membership base comprised of allied arts organizations in BC.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, existing clients in all fall Operating Assistance programs will receive the equivalent of 50% of their previous year grant amount in April. This early release of funding is being delivered in order to help support organizational sustainability through this challenging time.
This payment will act as an advance on a client’s 2020 / 2021 operating grant. BC Arts Council staff will manage the online application process on behalf of each client organization, although clients will be required to be registered in the online system. Staff will work with each organization to ensure all requirements are in place.
Further information regarding this change will be communicated directly to affected clients.
These changes to Operating Assistance are among a series of program changes that the BC Arts Council has made in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The BC Arts Council remains committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be registered as a non-profit society in good standing in the Province of British Columbia and have operated as a service organization for two fiscal years prior to application.
- Provide services and programs to support a membership base and have done so in the immediately preceding two years.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals by paying fees at industry standards and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards.
- Have professional executive and administrative leadership.
- Demonstrate a range of membership that is representative of its constituency (local, regional, provincial or national). If membership or activity is local, regional, or national in scope, the organization must clearly demonstrate provincial impact.
- For organizations not currently receiving Operating Assistance:
- Applicants must have received at least two Professional Project Assistance awards from the British Columbia Arts Council within the past five years.
- Applicants must establish eligibility with Council staff before making an application and are encouraged to so at least four weeks before the application deadline.
How to Apply
The intake period is now open. The deadline for interim reports and annual status applications is September 30, 2019.
The program-specific documents are:
Program guidelines - PDF version
Applications are accepted by mail and must be postmarked by Canada Post or a courier company no later than September 30, 2019. Applications may be hand delivered or delivered by courier to 800 Johnson Street, Victoria, BC, up to 4:00 p.m. on the deadline day. Applications by email or fax will not be accepted. See application form for mailing information and submission instructions.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the appropriate program officer prior to submission - their contact information can be found on the top right of this page.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version posted to the website.
Program guidelines - PDF version
Updated program guidelines will be available at least 6 weeks before the program deadline.