Program TypeOperating Assistance
Application DeadlineSeptember 30, 2021
- Application Type
The Operating Assistance program for Public Museums and Indigenous Cultural Centres supports the public program activities of BC professional, not-for-profit public museums and Indigenous cultural centres that sustain an annual artistic and curatorial program that includes creation, development, presentation, collections, and dissemination activities.
2021 Operating Assistance Intake
For 2021, all current recipients of Operating Assistance will submit a shorter application for staff to review. Please ensure you review the 2021 Operating Assistance Overview document for further information.
New applicants to Operating Assistance will not be accepted at this time. Any new information regarding new applicants will be updated on this program page and in our news section.
These decisions were made as part of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time.
Funded activities may need to make adaptations to comply with relevant public health orders, including those regarding gatherings and travel.
The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID-19 Update page and individual pages for programs open for intake. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
For 2021, only current recipients of Operating Assistance are eligible. To continue to receive funding through the Public Museums and Indigenous Cultural Centres – Operating program your organization must continue to fulfill the following criteria:
- Be registered as a non-profit society in good standing in the Province of British Columbia and have operated as a public museum for two fiscal years prior to application;
- Be a public museum operated by a local government for at least two fiscal years prior to application and with a community-based board of management that sets policy for the organization’s public programs and services.
- Be a public museum operated by a public post-secondary institution in B.C. that offers public programming by museum professionals in a dedicated museum facility with regular ongoing access to the non-academic community.
- Provide year-round public programming and have done so in the immediately preceding two years.
- Compensate artists and arts/museum professionals by paying fees at industry standards and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards.
- Professional artists and arts/museum professionals must receive industry standard fees for work presented by visual arts organizations and public museums.
- Community-based artists and curators whose work is programmed by visual arts organizations or public museums must receive payment through either exhibition fees or through other, mutually agreed-upon alternatives.
- Have professional artistic/curatorial and administrative leadership.
- Hold a permanent collection and have a definable space designated for public exhibition of collection material.
At present, we are not accepting new applicants to this program.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage.
For 2021, eligible applicants to Operating Assistance will be completing a shorter application than a typical full Operating application.
Please refer to the 2021 Operating Assistance Overview document for more information about this year’s intake.
The following guidelines are from the previous intake and provided for general information about the program. They are for reference only.