Program TypeIndividual Arts Awards
Application DeadlineJune 30, 2022
- Application Type
Individual Arts Awards: Media Artists assists independent media artists with the creation of specific projects. The BC Arts Council defines media arts as works in film, video, audio/sound art and new media, including new information and communications technologies used for artistic expression.
Awards are available to support the creation of new works. Applications may be made by individuals or on behalf of a collaboration of two or more artists sharing creative control of a project.
Critics and curators of Media Art may apply to Individual Arts Awards: Visual Artists in the fall of 2022 for assistance with independent critical writing or curatorial projects.
Who Can Apply
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident and have been a resident of British Columbia for at least 12 months immediately prior to the application deadline, and ordinarily reside in B.C. For more information, review our Determining B.C. Residency page;
- Be a professional media artist, who has completed all basic training (not necessarily in academic institutions);
- Have completed two or more years of artistic practice after basic training, and
- As a professional media artist, have created and completed at least one project that has been professionally presented as part of a public program for which a professional fee was received (CARFAC, IMAA, or equivalent).
- Received at least one grant for the creation of media art through the First Peoples’ Cultural Council Indigenous Arts Program and have submitted a final report for that grant.
- Have final creative control over the proposed work;
- Compensate other artists and professionals fairly in keeping with community contexts and industry standards within the field of practice, including adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols, if applicable;
- Have submitted any outstanding final reports on previous BC Arts Council grants by the submission deadline date for this program; and
- For collaborative applications, each individual applicant must meet these eligibility criteria.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage, when it's available.