Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineMay 30, 2020
- Application Type
Project Assistance: Professional Arts Training Organizations is intended to support projects which assist with special training activities and the development of recognized arts and cultural training programs and organizations in British Columbia.
Eligible activities may include specialized training for professional artists and cultural workers or the provision of specialized training for those who are committed to pursuing professional careers in the arts.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring intake for this program has been delayed and will launch in early April, with an extended deadline of May 30.
Please note: We are placing a temporary blackout period on new applications for activities that involve travel and/or in-person gatherings taking place between March 26 and June 30. This date could be adjusted if the current provincial and federal orders and directives in place are extended.
This is one of a series of program changes that the BC Arts Council has made in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The BC Arts Council remains committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible, you must:
- Be based in British Columbia and conduct ongoing public programming activity in B.C.
- Compensate artists and arts professionals fairly in keeping with community contexts and industry standards within the field of practice, including adhering to international intellectual property rights standards and cultural ownership protocols.
- Have submitted all required final reports on previous BC Arts Council grants as of the deadline date for this program.
Under normal circumstances, applicants must, in addition to meeting the eligibility criteria, demonstrate a record of realizing comparable projects at a professional standard.
Arts Training Organizations
An arts training organization must:
- Have been operating for at least one year, with a mandate to provide professional-level training for developing artists and cultural workers.
- Comply with all requirements of the Criminal Records Review Act.
- Be able to provide a written syllabus or curriculum.
- Provide evidence of a need in the community for the proposed training.
- Compensate artists, instructors and other professional practitioners by paying fees at industry standard and adhere to international intellectual property rights standards.
- Provide a project budget that demonstrates a diversified revenue base, with significant funding from sources other than the BC Arts Council, including earned revenues, local government support, and private sector funding.
- Not be eligible for, or receiving, funding through other BC Arts Council programs for the same activity.
Arts and Cultural Organizations
An Arts and Cultural organization must:
- Be a professional organization registered and in good standing as a non-profit society in the Province of British Columbia for at least one year.
- Not currently receive Operating Assistance from the BC Arts Council.
How to Apply
All applicants must be registered in the BCAC Online Grant Application System. It is highly recommended to read the entire How to Apply Online before starting this process.
Registration requests, once completed in the online system, can take up to 4 business days to be approved by BCAC staff.
Once an applicant has an organization profile in the system, then an online application form needs to be filled in and submitted.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the program officer.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
You can access the main log in page of the BCAC Online Grant Application System by clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this webpage, when it's available.
Program guidelines are revised annually.