Program TypeProject Assistance
Application DeadlineDecember 1, 2020
- Application Type
The Professional Development Project Assistance program assists professional artists and arts & culture professionals:
- to take advantage of opportunities which require travel; or,
- to undertake specific learning activities to advance their practice or career.
The program assists those who demonstrate a high degree of critical self-reflection and link activities to the next stage of their professional development.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, health, the December 2020 intake for Professional Development has been suspended.
In its place, we have created the Pivot for Individuals program, which includes an enhanced version of the Professional Development program featuring expanded criteria and funding. The program also provides a new opportunity for individuals to apply for funding that will allow them to pivot, in either their practice or with adaptations to a specific work, as a response to the challenges they’ve encountered as a result of the pandemic. The deadline is February 16.
COVID-19 & the BC Arts Council
These changes are part of the BC Arts Council’s response to the COVID-19 crisis.
We remain committed to supporting B.C.’s artists and cultural organizations through this difficult time. The most up-to-date information will always be posted on our dedicated COVID 19 FAQ page and individual program pages. Updates will also be announced on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Who Can Apply
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have lived in British Columbia for at least twelve months immediately prior to application.
- Be an artist or arts administrator in the disciplines of creative writing, dance (performance, choreography), media arts (film, video, audio/sound art and new media), multi-disciplinary practice, museology and conservation, music (performance, composition), publishing, theatre (performance, design, directing, technical), or visual arts (creation, curation).
- Have completed basic training in their discipline (not necessarily in academic institutions) and is not enrolled in full-time studies.
- Be a professional artist or arts administrator.
All interested applicants should review the program guidelines for further information about eligibility.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted throughout the year. There are three intake deadlines: April 1, August 1 and December 1. Applications received in the period leading up to each deadline will be adjudicated together.
The intake period is now open. The program-specific documents are:
Program guidelines - PDF version
Applications are accepted by mail and must be postmarked by Canada Post or a courier company no later than December 1, 2019. Applications may be hand delivered or delivered by courier to 800 Johnson Street, Victoria, BC, up to 4:00 p.m. on the deadline day. Applications by email or fax will not be accepted. See application form for mailing information and submission instructions.
All applicants, especially those who are new to the program, are urged to discuss their request with the appropriate program officer prior to submission - their contact information can be found on the top right of this page.
Please note that program staff are typically available during regular business hours Monday - Friday. If a deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, staff will be unavailable on that day.
Program guidelines are revised annually. Please ensure that you download and review the most recent version, which is posted below.
Program guidelines - PDF version